AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Troubleshooting clean grain elevator shaft speed sensor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

ljadx160
Posted 10/6/2018 08:37 (#7028911)
Subject: Troubleshooting clean grain elevator shaft speed sensor?

North Central Iowa
Usually I've found questions on how to keep it from alarming. I have the opposite problem, the combine and yield monitor think the shaft is turning all the time. JD 9500 with an Ag Leader yield monitor system (PF Advantage). From what I can tell, the Ag Leader cable plugs directly into the shaft sensor (2 wire) with a pig tail for the original combine sensor to plug into it. This is what I've found:

- With everything plugged in, yield monitor think the shaft is turning 2,500-3,000 rpm. This doesn't matter whether the separator is engaged or not. With engine at low speed, and everything engaged, all the speed sensors in the cab go in alarm except the clean grain elevator. Since the PF Advantage is still indicating 3,000 rpm, I guess that explains why no alarm.

- Unplug both sensor leads at the shaft sensor, so from the sensor and from each other (original combine and Ag Leader). Get 0 speed now of PF Advantage and alarm will go off in the cab when engaging separator and feeder house.

- Took off the shaft sensor and checked with continuity. When the magnet is away from the sensor, no continuity. Bring it close, it closes the circuit. I think this is as expected, yes?

- Looked over the wiring, can't see anything out of place. Can trace the Ag Leader wiring pretty well. The original combine wiring to the cab quickly goes into a giant harness, so hard to trace much there.

So I originally thought maybe I have a short in the original wiring to the cab for the alarm, but when fulling unplugged at the sensor, I get an alarm of no rotation. Again, I think this is as expected. I also don't think I measure any continuity in the Ag Leader cable harness, so that doesn't seem to be the short.

So a couple things:

1. Any official troubleshooting for these shaft sensors? What voltage to check (to each other or to ground)? Ohms/continuity that should be found or not?

2. Any other ideas or places to look?

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)