AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Prenuptial agreement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 9/22/2018 21:11 (#7003370 - in reply to #7002501)
Subject: RE: Prenuptial agreement

That's a tough one. The balance sheet that described me fiscally was deep in the red when my wife and I got married (if any of your kids want to get their pilot's license by going through an aviation focused college degree, have them talk to me first, lol). Because of that a prenup wasn't something that even crossed my mind.

Almost 10 years later now and things are a lot different. Despite that, if we had met a year ago instead of 11 years ago, I don't know that I could have brought myself to ask for a prenup. When I married her I said these words:

"I take thee Shannon, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part"

Nowhere in there did I say anything about how just in case she was crazy, I was protecting all of my assets so she couldn't get at them. When we were making the covenant, we were each recognizing that the other was not perfect but we were making a DECISION to make our marriage work.

Yes, she may be pulling the wool over your eyes but to me it shows a lack of faith and commitment to go into marriage while you're holding something back.

With all that being said, I don't fault or judge others who have chosen a different path. Heck, if I were still single today and I was marrying someone with a net worth of 20 times my own net worth, I would not hold it against her to ask me to sign a prenup either. It's just that while I understand what it's for and why others do it, I could not personally put myself in a position where I was holding something back at the beginning. I would rather lose half of the assets I had before the marriage than have a shadow of a doubt that I might not be fully committed to the relationship.

Edited by dpilot83 9/22/2018 21:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)