AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can anyone explain Agfiniti to me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/5/2018 06:44 (#6970669 - in reply to #6970131)
Subject: RE: Can anyone explain Agfiniti to me?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
caseihfarmer - 9/4/2018 08:37

so in your situation if you transfer to your ipad when you want, does it still allow you to put a usb drive in and transfer your logs like the old days? I would assume so but wasn't sure.

Yes, it is still possible to put a usb drive in and transfer my logs like the old days.

For years I have used the idea of copying the files to an external memory device (USB stick with the newer displays) on demand. I could have chosen the copy to the external device upon shutdown setting but I haven't. I still do this activity this way since it is not important to me that the files are available within SMS during harvest. I do work with SMS after harvest.

This requires physically inserting the memory device (USB stick on the Integra/InCommand or memory card on the Insight) making the appropriate choice on the display and waiting for the file transfer to complete. I then hand carry the memory device to the computer running SMS. I still do this, this way.

If I had an essentials license and an Internet connection in the vehicle, I could accomplish this through the cloud. This requires a yearly purchase of the license but may well be worth it depending on one's operation. With the license and cloud usage many things are possible. I chose not to purchase the yearly license.

To get the information from the InCommand 1200 to the iPad running Agfiniti, I use the Access Point concept. I did a Google search on Access Points and found they are used in many situations for a variety of purposes. For this application I think of it as a way to allow the InCommand and iPad to communicate . This is not an Internet service to the outside world. This may not be the best explanation.

Since my iPad is cellular, I believe I could set the iPad up as a hotspot which the iPad and InCommand could both use but I believe that would require the license. Maybe not. This might also strain my limited data plan then again maybe not.

After I setup the InCommand as an access point, the iPad should find it (it needs to be reasonably close). My iPad lists this as InCommand as well as any other connections. In my case, the iPad will also show my Steercommand ECU and possibly my Internet connection from the house if the vehicle is parked very close to my house. After I chose InCommand the two devices communicate through that connection.

The InCommand does not communicate continuously to the iPad. For example, if I am planting or harvesting a field, the onscreen map is constantly updated on the InCommand as usual but this map would not appear on the iPad at that time. When the field is changed, the InCommand sends a "batch" of information concerning that field via the access point. Once the app on the iPad receives the information, a map and summaries for that are available within the app on the iPad. It is also possible to manually force the data transfer via a menu choice. This is the part that has not been 100% reliable.

I think the difference in our two approaches is how does the information get to the iPad. In your case with a license, I believe the information goes from the Ag Leader display to the cloud and then back to the iPad. In my case, it goes directly from the Ag Leader display to the iPad and the cloud is not involved.

Edited by tedbear 9/5/2018 07:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)