AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Guide to Genetically Modified Alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

David Dechant
Posted 10/12/2006 09:54 (#50875 - in reply to #50823)
Subject: Livestock move seed

I see alfalfa going to seed all the time here, such as on ditchbanks which don't get cut or on fields where farmers run out of water so they just let the plant go to seed as there isn't enough to cut to make it worthwhile.

During the winter, the sheep grazers set up temporary corrals, usually out in my wheat stubble fields. Lo and behold, the following year we noticed we had alfalfa right where one of the corrals was. I don't know if it was from undigested seed that went through the sheep or seed that got stuck in the wool and later came out, but it was there.

I hate to see RR alfalfa come to the neighborhood. I haven't intentionally planted a single GMO since they came out and I want to keep it that way. And I don't want bees or livestock moving Monsanto's patented genes upon my property.

Where is the benefit in RR alfalfa anyway? The way I see it, if RR makes it a lot easier to establish a stand, a lot more people are going to start growing alfalfa, so there goes the price.

I just read the other day some Biotech company had some success growing insulin in some crop. Maybe Monsanto ought to modify its alfalfa to also produce Bovine growth hormone so the poor milk cows getting the hormone don't have to get stuck with a needle every few weeks.

Edited by David Dechant 10/12/2006 09:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)