AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bypass Router
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

jonas grumby
Posted 8/28/2018 15:53 (#6956067 - in reply to #6955953)
Subject: RE: Bypass Router

Northern Illinois
a tech from the internet company came out and plugged his computer into the line before the router to check the signal strength and download and upload speeds. The signal strength was very good but the download and upload speed were REALLY slow. So slow that the internet was disconnecting often. I called a couple times and they came out and checked the signal strength at the dish on top of the house and said all is good on their end because the signal strength was good. I kept calling because it was not good. I could run tests on my computer and see the speed was slow. Their first reaction was that the firmware on my router was not up to date. I replaced the router and that did not help. Our phones use the wifi in the house so when the internet was not working our wifi on the phones was not working unless we turned the wifi settings on the phone off. I thought that was odd because if we left house and were out of range of the router our phones would just automatically connect and we could get internet on our data plan. I thought if the internet was not working our phones should still connect to the internet in the house and we would just use data.

Anyway when internet tech was checking things he deduced that while our signal strength was very good our signal quality was bad. What he ended up doing is going to a different water tower to get our signal. The term he used to explain the signal quality was the beacon strength. That was running at (looking at his computer) ~50%. By going to a different water tower it is now at 99-100%.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)