AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bypass Router
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 8/29/2018 17:11 (#6958285 - in reply to #6953003)
Subject: Translation

Okay, reading your final post, I'm glad you got your issue resolved. From what I understand of your situation (and some diagnostic tools for other readers), your ISP signal is microwave from a nearby tower or tall building in town, The "modem" they supply is typically a little box that decodes the microwave signal and converts it into ethernet - thus you probably have a single RJ-45 (large, 8 pin/slot telephone-like plug) on your modem. As other posters have commented, plugging directly into that modem with an ethernet cable to your computer is fine and an excellent test to see if you can get connectivity. What I've relied on to see if a connection is good, is going to a command line and typing the following:

ping /t google.com - this command will do a sonar-like ping to google.com, and the reply on your screen will show the reply times. Too many time-outs (which I suspect you would have seen) will indicate poor connectivity. The part you're wanting to note is the "time" section of every line... the times will vary, some may get lost. You want as small a time in microseconds as possible. If you simply enter ping google.com, you will only get 4 replies. The /t makes it repeat continuously. To stop the ping test, simply type Control + C There are many more "switches" like the /t you can use. Simply type ping /? for the full list.

By using the google.com in the ping test, you will also be testing the speed of your Domain Name Service (DNS). If DNS is very slow, you may see failures show up. When that happens, then try pinging an IP address you know to be valid. The Google DNS system uses the IP addresses of 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 (and others). Syntax for pinging and IP address is: ping /t 1.1.1.1 or ping /t 8.8.8.8

Another command line tool is NSLookup - It checks your DNS server. Quite honestly, I just did the nslookup google.com on my laptop to verify the syntax, and it failed on my home system. Guess I need to get out my screw driver, hammer and slide-rule, then do some physical "adjustments" to my own router.

Best wishes!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)