AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Health care discussion not even possible here?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

sand85
Posted 7/21/2018 17:46 (#6884297 - in reply to #6883984)
Subject: RE: Health care discussion not even possible here?

C IL
They are, more or less. They get about 75% of their policy cost reimbursed though, whether single or family I believe, and there are some other caveats and carve-outs.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/members-congress-health-care/

I had federal health insurance for a while, right around beginning-ACA, it was spendy then but when Uncle Sam picked up 3/4 of the bill it hurt a lot less so it makes it easy to think hey, this doesn’t cost ME much. Here’s a a real life example:

Each year companies sent out very well trained salespeople (apparently selling health insurance to Feds is very profitable) who continually reminded us that our premiums would only go up a small cash amount. $14 increase per two week pay period for a single young person was their example. Sounds like not a big deal, right?

That $14 semi-weekly reflected a 22% increase in the premium. For one year. But no employee was ever told that and the sakesperson sort of talked over me when I did the math and pointed it out. So it wasn’t much cash out of pocket but Uncke Sam picked up additional huge liability there for health insurance costs.

So I still think our decision makers in Congress are well insulated from the realities of small business people and sole proprietors and others who need health insurance, because they only pay 1/4 of their premiums, both single and family. It’s way different if you have an employer that pays a fixed amount of just one employee’s health insurance (or none) which is very common, and you have to absorb that cost increase.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)