AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Willys Farm Jeep in your part of the country?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

lhfarm
Posted 7/21/2018 14:50 (#6884002 - in reply to #6883688)
Subject: RE: Willys Farm Jeep in your part of the country?

Robert W Greif - 7/21/2018 12:26

Willis may quite an effort in the years after World War II to sell the Jeep as an all around farm vehicle, including tractor work.

Quite a few full page ads in the major farm magazines of the era, SF, Farm Journal, Cappers Farmer, etc.

They could be equipped with a PTO and 3-point hitch.

The WW 2 military had a 60 hp engine, so maybe 50 PTO horsepower. That was more power than any row crop tractor of the time, IHC M, Deere A or G, Oliver, A-C, etc.
A few wheatland tractors had 50 on the pto, Case LA for one.

I assume that full power was at a rpm that you would not want to run 10 hours a day.

Weight was about 2500 pounds, the PTO and 3-point probably increased that a few hundred. But less than row crop tractors.
But it was 4 wheel drive, which would help a bunch. Or like adding water in the tires or cast wheel weights to a tractor, you could add weight to a Jeep.

Gearing was a 3-speed tranny and 2-speed transfer case. I wonder what kind of speeds in low range? Plowing speed of 4 mph or so? Slower for a combine, baler, corn picker, don’t know.
I wonder how the driveline would stand up to a lot of slow speed high torque pulling.

Really don't think they sold a whole lot for replacing regular tractors.

Robert,
The CJ2a, the first model sold by Willys was based on the military version but included many changes for the civilian world. It was designed to be a multi-purpose (the "Universal Jeep") vehicle for agricultural and industry. You might enjoy reading the Nebraska test results here -
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2048&cont...

Barry
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)