AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Visit ????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cowfeeder
Posted 6/23/2018 16:15 (#6829736 - in reply to #6829697)
Subject: RE: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Visit ????

Northwest Iowa
Yes, I would consider myself lucky. My visiting agent did not want me to have time to get any paper work in order. That's why he tried to make the appointment for the same day.
I was actually on a chartered bus with 50 other local farmers on our way to the Farm Progress Show when he called. You could have heard a pin drop on that bus when I read out loud the caller ID of EPA Kansas City Mo. I was sitting next to feed lot owners, dairy farmers, hog producers, and our agronomists.
My farm is located next to a small town Iowa well field. (Concrete containment structure is 280' from the closest 35 for deep well.) They do watch me closely, but so far,,,,,,,,,,.
I would also tell any one who is contacted, to have all Nutrient Management forms filled out and up to date accounting for ALL waste produced and spread on crop ground, as that was the 1st thing that he reviewed. Including the small details of a neighboring hog farm that periodically picks up our spoiled silage and feed bunk refusals for use in his compost pile. At least an approximate tonnage.
Our local NRCS will not even touch an audit like this. They will refer you to an independent consulting engineer. These government agencies do not have a clue as to what other government offices do. They are the fist to admit that they do not have the training or knowledge to answer to the EPA.
And yes, I was advised to respond to all questions and "suggestions" made by the inspector in a fairly quick manner as well. Lucky for us, my local Coop has a man on staff that deals with DNR and EPA full time and helps farmers keep things in order. He was a big help in keeping these things in perspective and I did not have to be overwhelmed by the details.
And yes, if it's not in writing, it didn't happen.
The time frame that they wanted me to respond in was pretty demanding and I did email the superior officer (Kansas City Mo) and request an extension which was granted without issue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)