AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drill vs row
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 10/8/2006 22:01 (#49755 - in reply to #49362)
Subject: RE: drill vs row

West Union, Illinois

I prefer 15" or narrower rows, especially on our lighter soils.  I have fields that will not close the row on 30" most years.  My seed supplier has been recommending lower seed pops.  They suggest ther first year you plant their seed to drop your population at least 10%.  We were at about 225,000 5 years ago.  We planted at 165,000 this year and am considering 130,000 next year.

Becks has a long term study which I found interesting.  Quoting http://www.beckshybrids.com/research/2005/pg65.pdf

Yield differences between all row widths varied by 3.5 bushels per acre in 2005 and 30" rows produced the highest yields. Our eight-year average, however, shows only 1.2 bushels per acre difference between all row spacings, with slightly higher yields in 7.5" and 15" rows compared to 30" row spacing.

The lower population at each row spacing produced the highest yields in the 7.5" and 15" rows, but not in the 30" rows. However, the highest yields in the plot came from the 75,000 – 100,000 emerged populations in the 30" rows.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)