AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drill vs row
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 10/8/2006 09:54 (#49601 - in reply to #49518)
Subject: RE: drill vs row

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Jim,
Yes I use the same variety, that is only common sense. The variety has changed over the years as yields get better.
The 30 inch row beans are at 140000, and the drill was set @ 165000
Seed count normally runs 3000 seeds per lb "here".
Cost of seed is not that much difference. I have learned over the years to wean the pops down and not have any yield differences. Another 8 lbs per acre on a 27$ bag is peanuts when considering the yield difference and harvestabilty. Last year when the hail came trough in september made me a big drill believer. The 30 inch row beans fell between the rows where the drills held each other up. Field loss was staggering on the 30's.
As for maintaining 2 machines. I bought my 5400 drill for 10,000$. I have put 6000 acres through it and have spent maybe 100$ on repairs. I paid for it doing custom drilling, which also helped me pick up more rented land.
My personal opinion is that farmers in my area are giving up to much yield by planting 30 inch rows. Many changed to 30's becasue they thought that white mold would be less,when in reality all they needed to do was change varieties. I haven;'t seen white mold since the early,mid 90's.
Also not discussed is the BIG advantage narrow row beans have in late planting situations such as hail or late ,wet springs. Start planting in june and narrow row beans will be 5 to 10 bu better.
The lower yielding fields in my area this year are the 30 inch rows planted later. frost nipped those fields.
In my opinion ,net dollars are more with narrow rows, especially up here on the ridge.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)