AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

big old trucks must upgrade
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 5/23/2018 23:21 (#6776025 - in reply to #6775546)
Subject: RE: big old trucks must upgrade

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Everything is supposed to be upgraded, but honestly if you drive up and down I-5 there is a pile of trucks that aren't. I ship hay for a number of farms here down to CA and I see everything from 1980's to brand new trucks. Very few older ones as natural attrition gets them all. The guy who are running lots of miles wear trucks out and buy new ones, and all newer trucks are compliant. CA doesn't have any control over out of state trucks. Any newer truck is CA compliant, they've never required anything more than the latest EPA 50 state rules.

As far as off highway equipment, the state tried to enact some controls on older tractors and such, but a number organizations, mostly Farm Bureau showed the state that it wouldn't help. Much like trucks older tractors that are still around don't get used much, so trying to force guys to upgrade gains little. They have done a fair amount in construction by requiring bidders on jobs to have all emissions compliant machinery, but everyone knows that up front.

I have a good friend who farms down in CA, in the worst airshed area. He's updated a couple of pump engines for newer models with some cost share money but hasn't done any tractors because he likes his 55 and 60 series Deere's. He also owns a fleet of old KW trucks that run into the Bay Area, but they don't get many miles/year. He did say he can't run into the port with the pre 94 trucks anymore, but I think that is a local rule not the state.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)