AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn/wheat rotation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 10/5/2006 07:59 (#48879 - in reply to #48739)
Subject: Re: Corn/wheat rotation

Martinsville, Ohio
Why are you tired of them John? My neighbors will be more than happy to take your acres next year. I live in a neighborhood where corn and wheat are the tiresome crops. I am like Brian, I like all three wish we even had another crop or two to throw into the mix like Dwayne Beck teaches.

You will increase your diplodia and scab related diseases with a monocot monoculture, John. That can be managed as many do it. A legume really breakes that up even as cover crop or a double crop. $5 beans around here would make a cheap cover crop after wheat harvest. I love no-tilling corn into wheat stubble with soybeans in it. The corn always does well for me that way.

Cut our first 50 acres yesterday(finally) and wish I had another 1000 like them to cut, money makers even at low prices.

Preliminary tests show that inoculant made us 5 bu, fungicide on the seed made us 3 bushels, fungicide on the leaves made us 8 bushels. 16 bushels from control plots to all three treatments! Very consistent, too.

Tim Cooke made me 3 bushels. Left a plot unsprayed after being sprayed twice. I described my weed situation and Tim just said "spray it." I would prefer tramlines in 7.5 inch soybeans. No wonder farmers like 15 inchers.

Oh, 30 inch, 15 inch and 7.5 inch were all within two bushels of each other in reverse order. I would call them pretty equal but narrow rows are just a tad better here I think and saw it again in these plots. That is planted the last week of April in southern Ohio where 30 inch beans are not planted. Get much into May and I definitely want narrower rows. These beans are bred for narrow rows but the 30 inch beans bushed out more than I thought they would.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)