AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4995 w/ V10 conditioner
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Chip
Posted 12/27/2008 14:27 (#548341 - in reply to #548328)
Subject: Re: JD 4995 w/ V10 conditioner

I don't agree with that.

The Hesston is better, the difference won't show up much in alfalfa, but in small-grain-hay crop (ie: oats, rye, etc dried down and baled), the difference is dramatic. The worse the conditions, the more the difference shows. We also run a set of Circle C rolls.

Other than that, the Deere is a better machine than the Hesston--absolutely hands down. The workmanship, especially on the tractor, is far superior on the Deere--in my humble opinion.

We grudgingly run Hessons and Deeres both--the Deeres because we want something reliable, and the Hesstons because we need some crops to dry faster. For example, I absolutely refuse to cut oats with the Deere anymore. We use only the Hesstons on oats. We use both on alfalfa. We prefer steel rolls because of longevity--can't really see a significant difference between steel and urethane. The flail conditioner is a difference, though. Much worse. (edit: I'm referring to drydown)

Each machine cuts average about 3000 acres per year, all are rotary cut machines. Typical temp is 90 degrees, about 15% humidity.

Edited by Chip 12/27/2008 14:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)