AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

You realize Sunday ( re. working on )
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

agrarianyuppie
Posted 12/22/2008 07:29 (#543107 - in reply to #543036)
Subject: RE: You realize Sunday ( re. working on )

SE Iowa
I agree Mike. I was raised with the understanding that 12pm Saturday night until 12 pm Sunday night was off limits for work. This was held to quite passionately. With the exception of caring for the livestock. Or, if someone worked at a factory, and they "had no choice", that was overlooked. But if you were self employed, and "chose" to work on Sunday, that was abominable. There were no circumstances of the self employed that were considered "have to". But it was perfectly fine to hire someone to work for you. You can hire the utility companies, the cook, waitress, gas station attendant, store clerk, well serviceman, etc, etc., without ever giving it a thought. Can't work yourself, but you can have a whore. But yet it wasn't at all okay when a neighbor picked some beans for me on Sunday.

As always, legalistic issues of these sorts always fail when held to any standard of consistency. When we impose behavioral sanctions in an effort to produce a righteous heart, we end up with hypocrites who have no clue that they continue to separate themselves from God by celebrating themselves. Scripture focuses on the heart, the relationship, the intent, the desire, and His work in us, not our work in Him, which then results in appropriate behavior.

I personally take Sundays off. During planting and harvest, I have made it my priority to at least attend church, and eat lunch with the family. After that I may go out and work for a few hours, and can do so knowing I have given my priorities at least a little priority.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)