AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you make your livestock work for you?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldskool
Posted 1/15/2018 20:55 (#6508154 - in reply to #6507138)
Subject: RE: Do you make your livestock work for you?

I think these ideas work if a: the place is multigenerational b: outside money is used to fund the operation. I would probably put more stock into them if they would provide hard numbers for purchasing land, livestock etc. to get started. I find it funny she mentions hobby farms, as I’ve yet to see livestock operated in that fashion that are a producers entire income.

Started from scratch renting equipment and pasture at the going rate, taking out a loan to buy cows. Put in as much sweat equity as I could through my youth “working for the cows”, no off farm job/income. They paid for themselves and my bills. Now have some paid for ground, a full line of paid for equipment and all but 40head of cows are paid off. Just have a tough time seeing her program accomplishing the same in 10 years.

Had to laugh at the kids can get a better paying job in town line too. Dollar wise yes they can, but the fringe benefits I have are priceless. Set my own hours, 0 mile commute to work, never locked a door or pulled a key on the place, etc. I lived in south Sioux City with a girl for 6 months when I was in college, got my eyes opened how good I had it growing up in rural America.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)