AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats the best hay baler(small squares) ??????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

prefred
Posted 12/17/2008 14:36 (#537598 - in reply to #537400)
Subject: RE: Whats the best hay baler(small squares) ??????

Manitoba
Interesting post, as one can tell by the responses that there are staunch followers of both makes. Our experience, stemming from close to 25 years of custom square baling is that in terms of longevity, the NH balers are the best. We started with the 283 (16x18 baler), graduated through to the 425, 426 and then onto the 580. Each succession of baler was better than the previous. We would run three squares and a SP bale stacker and could figure on putting 50,000 through each baler annually before it was time to put it in the shop for an overhaul. By that I mean, pull the plunger, sharpen the knives, change bearings and check over the rest of the unit. This included baling flax straw--and if you haven't experienced tough baling UNTIL you have done flax. One of our operators used to run John Deeres and after working with us for awhile, could not get over the capacity of the NH baler. Having said that though, I do agree that the JD make a square bale more consistently than the NH--but we did not like the augar feeding system in the Deere because in pure alfalfa, it would strip the leaves off the stems and have them seperate in the bale. Anyway, just my observations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)