AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

656 charging problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 11/19/2017 01:44 (#6374523 - in reply to #6374231)
Subject: RE: 656 charging problem

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Bern - 11/18/2017 21:01

I'm still struggling with this, for two reasons: 1) the voltage spike from a primary coil winding are supposed to go to the secondary winding and then the spark plug, not back to the battery, and 2) the battery acts as a massive voltage buffer to absorb any spikes or fluctuations such as alternator ripple. I still strongly suspect a bad connection, either of the equipment or meter connections. I've done what you describe on many occasions in the past, and have never seen what you are seeing.

When the points open on a point type ignition system, the magnetic field in the coil core collapses and induces around a 15-20,000 volt (what ever will jump- the plug gap) in the coil secondary winding, but also up to 300 volts in the primary winding, that is why a condenser is wired across the ignition points to absorb the spike and keep that 300 volt pulse from arcing across the barely open ignition points. The condenser absorbs most, but not all of that primary winding pulse, any remaining voltage feeds back into the ignition and all other battery voltage wiring as a voltage spike. It would not bother any of the crude lights, gauges, blower motors of a 50's-60"s electrical system, but will really rattle the brains of any solid state stuff like a digital voltmeter. Ever notice how many diodes /capacitors are in a modern tractor electrical system to filter out / absorb voltage spikes just like what is messing with those digital voltmeters.

Edited by Jon Hagen 11/19/2017 01:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)