AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just installed a used PF3000; battery dead... can I still use it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/22/2017 08:04 (#6320300 - in reply to #6319773)
Subject: RE: Just installed a used PF3000; battery dead... can I still use it?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Rod Maker - 10/21/2017 20:24

Short answer yes.
If not using data card I don't think it matters at all. You might loose setup every time you turn off, but I don't think you do. It makes a new file on the card every day. If it is the same date every day because of a bad battery this file can get to large and become unusable.

For testing purposes proceede.

As stated above the main problem with a dead battery on a PF3000 is the fact that the date/time will remain the same and not change. If you wish to make yield maps, the PF3000 needs to have a working data card in it. This is because those older systems did not have enough memory capacity to store the point by point data internally and needed to write this information to the data card as you harvest. The system did have enough memory to keep field totals etc.

The PF3000 was designed to create a new file on the memory card based on the date. It consulted the date to decide if a new file should be created. Generally upon startup of a new day, the system would ask the operator if it was OK to create a new file to which the operator would agree. With a dead battery this date never changes so you don't see the question and new data is added to the previous file. After a few days, this file might become huge and unmanageable.

Changing the battery is not difficult. I did it many times as a Tech. The battery is a special type and not available at your usual Wal-Mart type stores. It is a rectangular type with a locking type connector on it. Check the link below for instructions.

Reset the date/time and you should be good to go.

If you are not concerned about making maps and only want to observe the yield/moisture and totals, then you can continue with the dead battery.

https://support.agleader.com/kbp/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=28

Edited by tedbear 10/22/2017 08:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)