AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2017 Soybean plot info
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 10/8/2017 09:28 (#6294813 - in reply to #6294714)
Subject: RE: 2017 Soybean plot info

East Central Arkansas

You mention the Dectes Stem Borer and that is something that I have in our bean fields. I know I need rotation to another crop to help with them but I need to be able to profit from raising that crop also. The U of A Extension Service says tillage will help. Due to our furrow irrigation we do some type of tillage every year for maintaining the furrow but that doesn't do much for destroying the bean stubble in the old row. Last year after harvest we did disc lightly with the row just enough to disturb the bean stubble. We then subsoiled the fields at a angle to the row and left it alone until this spring. We then field cultivated and bedded the fields. I don't know how much this actually helped with the borers as we still had them in the beans. I don't know what my program will be this coming year for sure yet but I am planning on just bedding over the old row. I did run a paratill with the row on one field that didn't get subsoiled last fall. I have a small 5 ac field that I also ran the paratill on that I have planted a rye and radish cover on with my twin row planter over the old bean rows. I just got that done yesterday so it will be a few days until I know what kind of stand I will get.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)