AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Creating Management Zones
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

gwagner
Posted 9/24/2017 17:25 (#6267720 - in reply to #6267460)
Subject: RE: Creating Management Zones

We have been zone sampling for over 20 years on our farm. Most zones are either created via topography (lidar data), remote sensing images, and good quality yield data. Most the time it is a combination of these 3 layers of information. Sometimes you will need to add drainage issues or old farmstead influences that normally would not show up.

In MANY parts of the USA, the order 2 soil survey, (https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm), is used BUT it was never intended to be used for making zone maps and WE WILL NOT USE THIS LAYER even though several big companies will. If any company tries to sell you this concept; do what I did in the image below and merge 3 yield maps together (equalize) and compare this with a order 2 soil survey. You will quickly discover they have nothing in common. This map has been an excellent map for this field and I have used it several time for soil sampling and also for variable rate planting (based on population).

Many entry level GIS software packages (Apex and SMS basic I consider is) will not allow you to achieve your goal of merged layers even though you can do limited analysis. The more advanced software packages will be much more complicated and have a steeper learning curve and cost. I have never found just 1 GIS software package that does it all. I use ADMS (http://www.geektechforag.com/default.aspx) as my main GIS package, I also use SMS Advanced (http://www.agleader.com/products/sms-software/), but I also use MapInfo on special occasions.

Putting together productivity zone is as much as an Art as it is using hard data. Whether you use a service or do a zone map yourself. You need to be involved and have the final say in what the zone map will look like and how many zones you think you need.

The final point on making a zone map, depends on your crop mix. We raise sugar beets, wheat, soybeans, corn, sunflowers, and some years dry beans. Our zone maps will be far different than a farmer that just grows corn and beans. Also a farmers that has relatively flat ground be different than a farmer that has rolling hills (north, south facing slopes). One size does not fit all and don’t let any one convince you otherwise.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but the best advice is to hire a crop consultant on your first fields and learn what and how they do it and then see if you want to make the investment in software and time to do it yourself correctly.

gary

Edited by gwagner 9/24/2017 17:42

(2017-09-24_16-43-09.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2017-09-24_16-43-09.jpg (152KB - 29 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)