AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Max tile plow field day in Garden Grove Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

thefarmers
Posted 9/21/2017 10:45 (#6261364 - in reply to #6260857)
Subject: RE: Soil Max tile plow field day in Garden Grove Iowa

olivetroad - 9/21/2017 06:17

IState - 9/20/2017 22:08 Purchased a pull type unit from Tom/Clint in 2015. Clint spent an afternoon at our farm and the instruction he gave was great. Have pattern tiled nearly 300 acres after harvest/before planting. Wish i would have bought it 10 years ago. Hoping to get some more started here soon once we get some beans off. I've installed 5,6 and 8 inch single wall. May try some 4" this fall now that i have some experience with the machine.

Good morning Jake - 

You could tell Tom/Clint knew their stuff and were very helpful about everything.  We were installing 3 inch tile which everyone on here from what I have read tends to discourage and say go with 4 inch.  But after talking to Tom about it, the three inch makes sense if you have the Intellislope computer stuff all set correctly.  They were saying the four inch tile does not typically get enough water flow velocity through it to keep it from silting in.  The price of the three inch tile sure makes it attractive to just put it a lot closer together in the field and not have to come back later and split the middles.

I don't think I would agree with their theories on 3" vs 4". Velocity in the tile I'd think would be more dependent on grade than volume. Volume would depend on length of the run. Another thing is inaccuracy in grade control. We talked to a tile contractor recently that uses a commercial plow, and he said one reason they don't use 3" is because if you have error in the grade, ( which according to him, all plows do, even the big commercial ones), you lost a bigger percentage of the tile flow compared to 4". Plus a 4" tile has close to twice as much area inside if it does silt in it would take a lot longer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)