AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

getting cow up calving problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 9/20/2017 20:14 (#6260184 - in reply to #6260016)
Subject: RE: getting cow up calving problem

NEMO
Smart, well thought out post t rock. I had to reread this post several times to absorb all of it. My old almost retired vet often recommended leaving the calf in some circumstances. He started as a young vet back in the 70's when exotics were all the rage, and calving problems were much more prevalent than now. As he would say, the calf was kinda in a crockpot, and after it melted down a little it would come out in pieces. He recommended massive doses of antibiotics, repeated if possible. Got a feeling this happens with range cows occasionally, and nobody ever knows. It wasn't his first line approach, but back 30-40 years ago a lot of facilities were nonexistent, or the owner didn't want to pay for a C-section if they could catch her. My newer, much younger vet, will get the calf out one way or another every time, and do it quick and clean. He is a self- proclaimed cow vet first, and we are extremely blessed to have him. Just a lot of bad circumstances here. Too late for a C if it's out to the hip, and vet didn't have a wire saw. Shooting the cow was "way" premature, but as t said, no sense in beating yourself up over it now. As t stated, a lot of responses on here are irresponsible, and need to be viewed as entertainment only.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)