AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

h1000
Posted 9/20/2017 15:22 (#6259713 - in reply to #6259479)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader insight

NE
Ted's response is spot on. I'll add some of my insight as I have in the past used Garmin antennas with my Ag Leader equipment.

You said that you purchased a Garmin antenna to use with your monitor. Did it come with the the 9 pin (DB9) connector already attached and is wired correctly? Ted explained pins 2 & 3 but pins 4 & 5 also play a big role. Pin 4 is power provided from the Ag Leader monitor and Pin 5 is ground for both DATA transmission and vehicle.

The NMEA sentences need to be configure or verified by a PC first. GGA & VTG are required, Others can be turned on as well but don't get carried away, I also used RMC & GSV as they provided other data but not essential to the operation of mapping on the monitor.

You'll need to input the GPS communication settings manually, IIRC the Ag Leader monitor won't auto detect the Garmin antenna as it does with Ag Leader branded GPS units. I used 38400 Baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. This is also know as 38400, 8, N, 1.

My experience with the Garmin antennas were mixed. I used a 17N on a combine with a PF3000 for a while and it worked good for yield mapping at 1 Hz. I later used a 19x HVS on an insight for the 5 Hz output and it was nowhere near as good as the 1500 antenna from Ag Leader. The auto swath was all over the place and that 19x now collects dust in the shed.

Edited by h1000 9/20/2017 15:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)