AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/20/2017 08:36 (#6259123 - in reply to #6258856)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader insight

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
JD8345 - 9/20/2017 05:43

Just bought an Ag Leader insight monitor and trying to get it setup on 9500 combine. I bought a garmin GPS for mapping as well. My questions are how to do I mate the gps and monitor together and then besides entering in combine information will the monitor start working once I actually get cutting grain. Also will the gps make the position more accurate to counting acres such as not taking a full swath the gps will recognize that? Thanks

Quite a few questions here. I have experience in using a Garmin with Ag Leader products. This may be simple or may be more complex than you hoped.

The Garmin will need to be connected to the Insight main harness. This is done via a 9 pin connector. Your Garmin may have a 9 pin connector on it that is the correct style but the wrong sex. If so you will need a null modem gender changer adapter. These were often included with the Insight but may have gotten lost.

When I worked as a tech we made a harness that we called a null modem gender changer extension with external power for such a situation. I happen to use one of these on my own combine where I was using an Insight to a Raven GPS system. This cable does several things 1) it changes the sex so the two cables can mate. 2) it switches the Rx and Tx pins 3) it has a separate connector that splits out Power and ground to run the GPS and 4) adds length which is often necessary to get out of a combine cab nicely.

It is possible to just buy a gender changer to get the two cables to mate but this will not work since the Tx and Rx lines may not have been swapped.

Once you have the cabling handled, it will be important that the Garmin outputs the GPS information correctly. The method by which this is done varies from model to model. At one time I used a Garmin 17N which was really designed to be used in a boat. In order to change the output to work with the Ag Leader, I needed to connect it to a Personal computer running a special Garmin program. This was very confusing at first but was actually quite easy once you understood it. Since your are likely only going to do this once, this may be frustrating.

I get the feeling that you are not getting GPS from the Garmin to the Insight and are hoping that once you start harvesting for real that it will start showing information. Unfortunately that is not the case. You should see GPS information on the Insight such as your position (Lat/Lon) and ground speed at all times. If this is the case, your problem is likely due to either the incorrect cable or settings on the Garmin. This can be very frustrating for the inexperienced. Believe me, I've been there.

As far as partial swath, the system will account for this if autoswath is unlocked and active. The accuracy of this depends on the quality of the GPS signal. There are settings where you in essence tell the Insight if it is connected to a good, average or poor GPS. I would not expect perfect acre count agreement.

The Garmin can put out the GPS information in different ways. You will want it to be outputting NEMA messages with the GGA and VTG messages on.

Edited by tedbear 9/20/2017 08:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)