AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Business telephone answering peeve
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Yoosta B
Posted 9/19/2017 09:15 (#6256898 - in reply to #6255913)
Subject: RE: Business telephone answering peeve

I used to be the guy on the other end. I'm not defending 'Mr. Parts', and it certainly sounds like this dealership needs some phone etiquette training. But it's just possible you aren't holding up your end of the 'social contract', either.

I've enjoyed your videos, and I've read your many posts on this site. You strike me as a stand-up kind of a guy. But I can only respond to what you report: I respond cordially & ask, "HI, who is this please"? I don't know what you meant by "I respond cordially", but you can go ask Emily Post or you can ask Slim & Spud- they'll all tell you that the caller should identify him/herself first.

Let me ask you: When your phone rings, how do you answer? Maybe just "Hello" ? (that's what most people do) What if the guy on the other end (who called you) just said, "Who's this?" What would you think?

I hope that, when you do reach 'Parts!' that you say, "This is Ron Lukow, who's this?" It is incumbent upon you as the caller to identify yourself, no matter if it is a social or a business call.

I do agree that "Parts!" is too curt for my taste. I trained my guys to say, "Parts department" (not a lot different). Not all of our calls were from people who knew our names. Certainly, when you asked for a name, he/she should have given it.

I think it also makes a difference what time of year it is. You are starting this thread in what is probably a very busy time at the parts counter. When I had people stacked up at the counter, I didn't want them having to wait and listen as I went through some long, social spiel. "I'm fine, Ron. Got 'em stacked up here at the counter. What d'ya need?" That's not being rude, that's just getting everybody- you included- going as quickly as possible.

Edited by Yoosta B 9/19/2017 22:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)