AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

livestock empoyee
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 7/29/2017 19:16 (#6156307 - in reply to #6155582)
Subject: RE: livestock empoyee

KY

That's what I was getting at above.  No, not everybody is making that, but like you said... he's one you'd "really like to hire".  He probably would really enjoy coming to work for you too... but It'd be hard to give up several dollars an hour and anything else he may lose in the process just to do it.  People say there's something to be said for doing something you enjoy, and I agree.. but once you hit that sort of income, Enjoyment may not outweigh $20,000 dollars or more a year.  A lot of hard working, trustworthy, self-starting types fall within 10-20% of that income level and benefit structure, and I agree, makes it hard for a farm to swing it.  Friend of mine owns a small business, about 12 employees normally.  Light physical labor, nothing too hard on the brain.  Most are making around $12 an hour, a couple are on salary and earn probably 40% more than that per year, but have been there a long time and do what little advanced work there is.  Consistently having trouble with laziness, long lunches, etc. etc.  I have been telling them a long time, A:  Stop being their friend and overlooking the laziness and the extended breaks, and B:  Half the people that were actual workers could easily handle the work, so step up the pay to about $18-$20, and get some reliable folks in there and don't hire as many.  Less benefits, more bang for your buck and better for everyone. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)