AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

livestock empoyee
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 7/27/2017 16:10 (#6152441 - in reply to #6152396)
Subject: RE: livestock empoyee

KY

I know that sounds outrageous to even think about offering that probably, but it would make a difference.  IF.. that person has a longing for that type of work.  Lot of row crop farms get a bad rap for saying "You're going to work a 40 hour week with the exception of planting and harvest times".  Someone hires on, before you know it, the days are 10 hour days or longer because the farmer has a "project" and they end up working later in order to shorten the number days they are spending on that one project and then on to the next one.  A farm is a unique employment experience I think.  I couldn't imagine wrenching on something on a farm and when 5 o'clock hits just dropping my wrench where it is and getting in the truck and going home.  Most other places, when the scheduled day ends, that dude ends, period. 

Not always the case, but a lot of single guys are younger, not worried about the hours, and either will or won't do a fine job based on their work ethic and enthusiasm for the work.  Usually, they want to move on, or they strike out on their own, or get married and start a family.  Maybe a combination of those.  Thing is, people who are NOT farmers, especially Wives that have never farmed or experienced it, don't understand the concept of the hours, nor the irregular schedule of getting home.  Eventually, something has to give, the marriage or the job.  I've heard tell more than once of Wives telling their husbands who worked for farmers, "I'm not sitting home by myself til midnight so you can be out making someone else's future.  An employee doesn't have the skin in the game you do, nor does he have the connection to what you're doing no matter how much enthusiasm he may have for the work.  Profit sharing opportunities or bonuses add a little of that ownership to them, and may make a difference as well.  I know it would me.  Heck, IF it was 15 years ago, and you offered what you're mentioning just now, and we sat down and talked and I could see myself working well beside you, I'd be interested.  So.. If it were me looking to hire someone, I'd want to line out just what it is I'm willing to offer to a good fit for the position... on a probationary basis of however long, 3 months, 6 months, can't make it too long, but long enough so I know I like the person, like their work ethic, find them trustworthy to work on their own when given specific tasks and have enough initiative to see things that need done and to DO them if they can without being told every step of the way to do so.  I'm no entrepreneurship coach, so maybe I'm way off, but I farm, have a hard time finding part time help when I do need it, and work public work and see different benefit structures and pay scales regularly from others and other companies, so I'm just trying to pass along what I see.  Hope you don't feel like I'm telling you how to do your business, because I sure couldn't step in and run your farm by any stretch of the imagination.  One last thing, I would utilize social media and maybe Craigslist to search out some candidates.  Got to be some way to keep every tom dick and harry from calling you with some kind of qualifier or something for them to meet, but you'd be surprised at how many folks may be willing to relocate if they find out about this job that they may have been interested in for a long time but never had an opportunity to try, because there are no operations in their area and no family farm to experience. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)