AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tru count clutches
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 11/20/2008 23:06 (#512230 - in reply to #512179)
Subject: Re: tru count clutches

Chebanse, IL.....

The airbags are their own tank. JD supplies a little compressor that is operator 12V switch activated. You want more down pressure (= bag pressure), then you switch compressor ON. If you want less, you open a valve to release bag(s) pressure. Bags normally run @ 30-40 psi, occasionally 50. We don't change it very often during the planting day. Compressor only runs when you want to add air...does not run during normal daily ops, unless you have a major leak somewhere. Then it's time to get out the soap bottle. By the way, JD is saying that their electric row clutches will be better because they won't need an air compressor for the planter. We just bought a new planter....does JD now have electric down-pressure devices?

TC has their little compressor & tank supplied w/a pressure switch, just like your shop compressor. It keeps the clutch tank at around 110-120 psi. A little valve (electical or manual) will be used to flow air from 7 gal 120# tank into JD air bags needing air. Sure-if you leave valve open you're going to have some hard bags. But, the same could happen w/little JD supplied 12V compressor. I think most of the little electric compressors will go up to 300# if they don't blow a fuse first. Releasing air from the bags would occur the same as it does now....a hand-operated release valve.

Someone asked about the dirt environment for the compressor? That's another change we made in '08 from standard TruCount. We took a garden tractor dry-type air cleaner & modified it to provide clean air for both the JD & TC compressors. JD supplied filter is about the size of a 1/2" hex nut. Our throw-away filter is now 100x better & 500x bigger than TC or JD. I'll presume that a good engine filter cleans better than any compressor needs. Anyway, I'm not sure that it's that much dirtier behind CCS planter hoppers than it is presently up on the hitch of a CCS planter...right behind tractor tires.

Also, the present TC compressor comes supplied w/"direct burial" 12 ga wire. If you're familiar w/that type wire, you know that it has few strands & is stiff to work with. Terrible to try & add crimp-ends. We'll just use a short big cable to go from compressor to battery. We will have 0.0% volt loss in wire.

Also Oliver, I don't think a "charge wire" has to carry much amperage. On one of our standy-by generators, there is a 12V output that is protected by a 3 amp (I think) fuse. It will charge a dead-dead battery. It may take a while, but it will. I think many folks have seen the dinky little battery charger that will charge a dead vehicle from the cigar lighter of a good vehicle. If you've ever cut one of those wires open, you'll note it's about a 22 ga wire. That sure won't carry much amperage. It will charge the battery, but it'll take a while.

Anyone that's towed a trailer camper has probably hooked up dead battery campers to pickups a lot of times.

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 11/20/2008 23:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)