AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What combine should I look for?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert in NY
Posted 11/16/2008 21:13 (#508615)
Subject: What combine should I look for?

Ok guys, I asked about a RWA system for my JD3300 but that isn't feasible. Some options were to put rice tires on it or bigger tires. Well, rice tires are going to cost me $2500 with no promise it will solve my problems. Wider tires require new tires and rims and a new corn head so that is going to cost me money also with the same questions as the rice tires. So now I am leaning towards a different machine.

So what is out there that I can buy for around $10k (give or take a couple grand) with at least a 4 row corn head, cab and RWA. I have Case-IH, New Holland and John Deere dealers handy. I have one MF and one Agco dealer also and I am small enough I can afford to wait for a part if need be but I don't want something that is going to be impossible to get parts for. I don't mind tinkering on equipment and I know my price range isn't going to afford me a low hour, shiny machine. So what models meet my needs and are fairly reliable? What models should I avoid?

I have tried my best to get a custom harvester to finish my fields but no one wants to do it (24 acres I can't do myself because of mud). So I was hoping if I got a good machine that is somewhat light and can handle mud I could do some small custom jobs locally to help off set the cost. And if I can get a grain head reasonable I will sell my JD (I got a great deal on it so I should be able to turn a small profit on it).

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you guys have.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)