AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Bull (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/24/2017 21:34 (#6088462 - in reply to #6088419)
Subject: RE: New Bull (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I agree on the depth and length. I have been using retained bull calves to select for length and width/heart girth (Gearld Fry point) in my cows.

Checking on him at sunset a few minutes ago he was paired up with a cow that must be in heat and the two of them, shoulder to shoulder, just chomping away on pasture that is growing like crazy in this cool wet weather.

My concern might be that over a couple years he just gets too big/too heavy to breed moderate size cows. One way around that could be to retain one of his best bull calves out of a good, moderate size Hereford cow and use that retained bull as a compromise. We'll just have to see what the scales have to say over the next couple years.  This is an experiment, but a fairly low risk one with options.

These Flecks are supposed to be able to put on pounds and grade but without a lot of excess external fat. With D092 being a "full blood", I should also see max heterosis from his calves.  Even though he looks a bit like a Hereford, he should have completely different genetics from my Hereford cows.

Edited by Jim 6/25/2017 08:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)