AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to connect a Agleader RTK reciever to a Trimble FMX
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/30/2017 07:02 (#5990938 - in reply to #5990857)
Subject: RE: How to connect a Agleader RTK reciever to a Trimble FMX

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I'm thinking that trying to use an Ag Leader GPS system with a Trimble display like this is not possible. I feel the reason is that the Ag Leader cannot output its information in the style that the FMX desires. At least I have found this be the case in other situations.

A Trimble GPS system communicates to a Trimble display by utilizing TSIP. This stands for Trimble Standard Interface Protocol. This is their special language to communicate between two Trimble devices. I assume this is legally protected so other companies cannot utilize this Protocol without a special agreement with Trimble. The Trimble GPS system can also output NEMA messages, which is the standard virtually everyone else uses.

This means that a Trimble GPS can send out its information by both methods. A Trimble GPS can communicate with a Trimble product by using TSIP and also to another device with NEMA.

In my mind, the Trimble GPS can go either way so it can work with Trimble products but not be cut out of the market to other brands. With one exception none of the other brands utilize TSIP. This one exception is with an Ag Leader Insight that is unlocked and being used with a Trimble for auto-pilot. This agreement between Trimble and Ag Leader allowed an Insight to work with a Trimble Nav II and Trimble GPS utilizing TSIP. That agreement has run out but systems that worked while the agreement was in effect still operate.

I was reminded of this when the screen went out on my CFX-750 that I was using with a Nav II for steering. Since this was Trimble to Trimble TSIP was being used. I wanted to get out of the CFX-750 since I never liked it. I had a steering unlocked Insight that was available. I wanted to use this with a Raven Phoenix 200 that I have available as the GPS source. This would not work since the Phoenix would only output NEMA and not TSIP. I was able to trade the broken 750 for a used 332. So once again, the GPS is Trimble and outputs both TSIP and NEMA, so the combination works.

The Phoenix does work with the Insight as long as steering with a Nav II is not being attempted. I use the Phoenix GPS to an Insight on a regular basis in my combine which has no assisted steering components.

Edited by tedbear 4/30/2017 07:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)