AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What was your first computer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Nate B.
Posted 4/9/2017 08:04 (#5953303 - in reply to #5934768)
Subject: RE: What was your first computer?

Bremen, KS
No love for the Radio Shack Color Computer? I started in 1983 with a CoCo 2 that featured 16k Extended Color BASIC! I build it up adding new RAM chips to boost it to 64k in '85 or '86. I bought a disk drive and a printer and used that setup for packet radio beginning in late 1987.

In summer 1989 I picked up an IBM XT clone from an acquaintance that had 640k of RAM, two 5.25" floppies, an amber monitor, and a genuine IBM keyboard for $500.00. A year later I added a 20 MB hard drive bought from another acquaintance and later that year I bought a 3.5" floppy drive and a 2400 baud modem. In early 1991 I added a VGA card and bought my first color monitor. That setup was instrumental in my success in electronics school.

A succession of clones, genuine IBM and now Lenovo computers followed. The biggest change was discovering Linux in 1996 and adopting it as my primary system in early 1998. I like the PC hardware platform for the simple reason is that hardware is cheap, plentiful, interchangeable, and well supported by the Linux kernel these days.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)