AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What was your first computer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/3/2017 22:36 (#5943139 - in reply to #5941003)
Subject: RE: What was your first computer?

southern MN
That was cool. I've head of maybe 1/2 of what you mentioned.

A friend of mine got into selling and installing computers when CP/M was the thing, and 8088 processors were something. I recall him setting up and programming a 10meg hard drive CP/M system for a trucking company, 3 terminals, entering trucking info. it was cutting edge.

I helped him out with that Atari line I mentioned above, I could grasp that stuff and home compnsumer level was my comfort zone.

Friend wasn't around, and some memory chips came for a bank computer that really needed a memory upgrade to function with some software that was important. So I got to do it. This was when you pulled out the cards, and then inserted actual individual chips into the motherboard sockets, rows and rows of them, and moved some jumpers, and then configured it to upgrade memory. That was at the time well beyond my pay scale... But, there I was, in the office section of a bank in town, people in suits and dresses walking past me, with the guts of this apperently important computer all over the desk, checking how many chip legs I inadvertently curled up.....

An even more important looking fella in a suit walked by and said, "Boy I don't think I'll ever understand those things!"

I had to bite my lip to not say, "Me either!"

It did work when I left. And the extra memory was showing.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)