AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ag leader distance calibration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/12/2006 05:20 (#43170 - in reply to #42940)
Subject: Losing GPS and Speed

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
On the PF3000, the GPS indicators have various combinations:
The "D" refers to the differential correction and the "G" refers to GPS itself.

There are various combinations of these letters that can be displayed. A "- -" indicates that neither Differential or GPS is being received. A "- g" indicates that GPS is being received but only a few satellites. A "- G" indicates that GPS is being received with several satellites but no Differential. A "D G" is what you hope to see which indicates several GPS satellites plus Differential is being received. If you back out of a shed, you would normally expect to see the sequence to go from " - -" to "- g" to "- G" to "D G". This indicates nothing to poor GPS to better GPS and finally GPS with Differential.

My guess is that you probably lost the Differential in your combining trial. The indication would have been " - G" when this happened. When Differential was reacquired the indication would have returned to "D G". During the time of loss of Differential, the PF3000 would have switched to Wheel Speed and mapping would have continued. On newer units speed is still usable without Differential but on the original PF3000 it would switch to the secondary source which is generally WHEEL.

The mapping would not have been as accurate as it could have been during the time of the Differential loss. With a combine, the absolute accuracy of the GPS is not terribly important. If the position of the data is not absolute, it doesn't matter much given the width and length of the combine.

If you were trying to do guidance or worse yet Autosteering, then the loss of Differential would be much more critical. Most Autosteer units would give a warning and then disengage.

Moving the GPS to a higher location on the combine sounds like a good idea. I don't know what type of differential correction you are using but the WAAS system has encountered some problems in certain parts of the U.S. due to satellite changes. Placing the GPS on the combine tank extension is often done. It may be a good idea to provide some type of tether to the GPS in case it get "brushed off" by trees or some other obstacle.

Edited by tedbear 9/12/2006 05:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)