AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ag leader distance calibration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/10/2006 08:51 (#42647 - in reply to #42523)
Subject: RE: ag leader distance calibration

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
In the PF3000, the primary speed sensing device can be set. If you are set to WHEELS as the primary, then the Speed you see (and is used for area calculation) is based on the Wheel Speed Calibration number.

If you are set to GPS speed, then the speed that is used comes from the GPS receiver. There is no calibration for this number. If the GPS would fail then the Wheel speed sensor is used.

The fact that the indicated speed on the PF3000 does not exactly match the comines indicated speed is not surprising. More often than not this is the case. In my combine the difference is greater than yours.

You indicate that the PF's speed is .3 off of the combine when using the Wheel setting. Is it also .3 off when using the GPS setting?

It is important to calibrate the Wheel sensor as you have done even if you plan on using GPS as the speed device. For some curious reason, changing the Wheel speed number midseason will have an effect on prior operations even though GPS was used at the time that the operation was performed.

To see how the GPS speed and Wheel speed compare I have done the following. Set the speed source to GPS and drive down a flat road at maximum speed. Next set the speed source to Wheel and drive down the same road at maximum speed. If the two speed values agree then you can be quite confident that the Wheel speed calibration is correct.

In some respects, the absolute value for the speed may not be as critical as you might assume. If your goal is to compare practices or varieties, having an incorrect value for the speed will still show the relative differences in yield. Once a field is completed, the field acres can be adjusted to force them to agree with the known acres. Thus the summary for the field yield average would be adjusted. If you have split up the field into loads for the different practices, the yield for these loads are adjusted proportionately.

Edited by tedbear 9/10/2006 08:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)