AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble EZ Boom 2010
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/5/2006 07:00 (#41466 - in reply to #41452)
Subject: Re: Trimble EZ Boom 2010

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, this is what I was referring to when I stated that there might be some disadvantages with "Built In" switches. I have done a number of installs where this is a potential problem. These have all been with the Ag Leader Direct Command systems where the Input and Output modules are separate physical "black boxes".

When using an Autoboom situation, the boom switches act as "inputs" to the system and do not directly control the boom valve action. In certain self-propelled sprayers (such as the Rogator), the switches built into the joystick or panel directly control the boom valves and also signal the original Raven console that a particular boom is ON. Thus the console "knows" which booms are ON and can behave appropriately. In these cases a Raven console without boom switches (or one with boom switches where they are always left OFF) is generally used. These are 460, 660 and 661 models.

With these situations there are two approaches: 1) use the normal Ag Leader switchbox and insure that the original switches are always OFF or 2) reroute the original switches so that they act as inputs to the Direct Command system. In this case the Ag Leader switchbox is not used but a direct connection is made from the original switches to the AIM module. The output from the LCM module is then routed to the Boom Valves.

Most of our customers prefer to utilize the original switches so we go the "rewire" route. In those situations some creative adapters are often needed. We also need to provide for returning the rig back to "original" in case it is traded or the Insight is not available. This also provides some added insurance in case there is a problem with the Direct command system.

My first guess is that when using an EZ-Boom in sprayers with OEM switches, it will be necessary to use the switches on the EZ-Boom box and insure that the original switches are always OFF.

In cases where a Raven 440 or 450 has been used where the boom switches being utilized are those in the console, we do not have the problem. In those situations the EZ-Boom box can be plugged directly into the Raven console cable without the above mentioned problem.

There is yet another scenario that could provide problems for either system. These are the floaters where the actual ON/OFF valves are the direct air type. In those systems the operator actually moves a direct air valve. The air pressure controls the valve. In those situations an air sensor is generally used to "tell" the Raven console that a particular section is ON. I have not been asked to install an autoboom on any of these yet. I think it would be necessary to replumb the valves so that they are controlled by electricity rather than air directlly.

Edited by tedbear 9/6/2006 06:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)