AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how much nitrigen can u get from cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 7/27/2008 14:43 (#422974 - in reply to #422833)
Subject: RE: how much nitrigen can u get from cover crop

north central Oklahoma
Andy,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 'clay' peas you are referring to are Iron and Clays cowpeas. I think Septemember is a little late to be planting a summer pea. I think I would consider Austrian winter peas at that point in time. One needs at least 50 days for a summer pea to bloom (where max nodulation would occur), and the cooler days of October, just a few weeks after planting in September would not likely allow a summer pea to grow very much. I would not be afraid to plant cummer peas up into August, provided moisture is available, and we know that moisture is pretty slim in Oklahoma at that time of year. IMHO, September would be an excellent time to get Austrians in early, get a good growth and give you plenty of time in spring to either burn down, plow down, or hay the peas before milo planting time in this part of the country. They generally flower in March around here.

BTW, I checked with a local vendor recently about Austrian pea and/or vetch seed pricing and he indicated upwards of 90 cents to a $1 a pound. That is getting mighty close to just putting NH3 on and being assured of "N" credits. At $1 a pound and seeding rates of 20 - 30 # an acre, and not being guaranteed of what nodulation you can expect (nature can be uncooperative), for $30 an acre, I'll apply the additional NH3 and rest a little easier.

I tried growing some winter peas a few years back mixed with wheat, then harvested together. Had peas all ove in the wheat, just wasn't ready to segregate them at harvest and have them cleaned out, but that would be a good way to raise your own seed, just gotta watch the chem program in the spring, peas a little touchy with the SU chems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)