AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Satellite TV Woes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/5/2008 08:23 (#409989 - in reply to #408902)
Subject: Futher Update

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The Installer came out one day when I was not home and changed the external switch.

Apparently this is the switch that changes among the three LNBs when I change channels and the desired programming comes off of another bird. This seemed to help somewhat but I still drop 129 most of the time.

The installer has ordered a new receiver so we'll see if that helps when it arrives.

I am still of the opinion that I am not getting a "good shot" at satallite 129. Apparently this is where the "new" HD programming that I desire lives since the "old" HD programs seem fine.

In talking with my neighbor (this time the husband rather than the wife) I got a clarification. He had problems with 129 also which were caused by interference from a tree branch. The problem was worse in the Summer when the tree had leaves on it. It was worse yet when it rained since the leaves got wet and the branch hung down lower.

He had a rather unique temporary fix. One night after losing and regaining signal several times he decided to take some dramatic action. He grabbed a shotgun and literally shot through the tree branch knocking many of the leaves off of the branch. He said this did help.

Later they removed the offending branch. He says they now have much better success but when marginal weather is approaching he loses 129 before the other two satellites.

The installer also questioned the height of my dish mounting. I have it mounted quite close to the ground on a rather short pipe. I did this so it would blend into the background of shrubbery better.

He mentioned something about "ground friction" when the dish is close to the ground. This seems strange to me but could be true I suppose.

I have a Martin House (sparrows actually) mounted on a pipe support that could possibly be used for the dish stand. Possibly I'll have the installer try that on a temporary basis to see if that helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)