AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmworks GRRRRRRRRRR!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Macy
Posted 6/24/2008 05:56 (#403487 - in reply to #403246)
Subject: FODD Update

Chad, there is a FODD update that can be used to generate shapefile boundaries from the boundary information that has been published into the field folders by desktop software.   These are the folders within the RCD folder that have the 36 character ugly names.    You can convert these boundaries to shapefiles by running the GS2SetupReader found in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\MapShots\Devices\EIC folder.    That's also the location where you will find the Guidance Line copier program if you ever need it.    If you read the entire card, a single boundary shapefile is added to each of those field folders, and a shapefile containing all field boundaries is written to the root of the card image.

There is actually a GS2SetupReader embedded in the GS2 FODD, but I doubt that FarmWorks has realized it is there.  I've never explicitly told anyone... it would just show up if an application is using self-discovery.  This FODD is also the same one that converts GS2 prescriptions back into shapefiles so you can import them into other software or field devices, or just look at what your software generated to send to the device.  These Rx shapefiles are also written into the individual field folders.

With this morning's build, I have enhanced the application reader to publish saved field boundaries with the fields associated with the data that you are reading.  I believe this would likely make the "import field boundaries" checkbox work for FarmWorks, w/o any change to their program.   I would guess that checkbox works generically, and if the FODD publishes boundaries, they get read.  If the FODD doesn't, there is nothing that FarmWorks can do.

However... everything that I'm doing with boundaries as described above is related to the boundaries that are written in the field folders and referenced in the ImportExport spatial catalog.    I think (but I do not know) that these boundaries only exist if written there by desktop software.   I think that driven boundaries are actually stored on the card as .fdl/.fdd file pairs in the RCD folder and must be read with a different process.   If you can stand to drive this field boundary again, and send the card image to me, I will confirm whether or not the driven boundary actually gets written into the field folder as well as into the .fdl/fdd pair.  And, if it is not, I'll enhance the FODD to read boundaries from those .fdl/.fdd pairs.   With that complete, then the FarmWorks program should "just work" with regard to this boundary issue.

I'm sorry you are having this frustration.   But as related to this boundary issue, in all fairness to FarmWorks, the problem is with the FODD they've had to use, and not with their software.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)