AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low cost RTK vs omnistar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 6/23/2008 20:18 (#403218 - in reply to #403187)
Subject: RE: Thanks, that answers my question

Sounds like some sound reasoning. We have our 16 row 7200 set up the way we like it but feel like a planter with a CCS system would make us more efficient. It's like you say though, the first few years that efficiency gained may be offset by learning how to run a 1770 CCS in our conditions efficiently. There are a ton of little quirks that we have figured out on our planter that would not be the case for a new one.

One last warning on RTK though. I'm assuming you already know this but you need more or less line of sight between your base station and your tractor or the base station will not be able to transmit the correction signal to the tractor. Therefore even if you bring the base station to each field, you may have problems if you have trees or buildings or hills in the middle of the field blocking the signal. You also may not have problems in the same situation. We live in an area where obstacles are few and far between so it's not an issue for us and therefore I have not researched it. I don't know what your fields are like so it would be wise to research what the system is capable of if you think you'll have issues with line of site stuff.

It's things like that little issue that will get you in a situation. Same as with upgrading planters. In theory it's going to be great but like I said in an earlier post there is going to be a learning curve. The learning curve with RTK is going to be a little steeper than the learning curve with OmniStar (that's an assumption on my part because I've never used OmniStar but I've read a lot about it). It would likely serve you well to read most of the stuff in the education center on the Leica site before making any big decisions.

Edited by dpilot83 6/23/2008 20:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)