AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight-NH3-Container?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/18/2008 06:59 (#380186 - in reply to #380072)
Subject: RE: Insight-NH3-Container?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Ron - You are correct. Since NH3 is considered a "liquid" (at least it better be while it's going through the flowmeter), the available units are only those commonly assoicated with liquids.

Since many of us consider the NH3 application in units of pounds of actual "N" this can be a bit confusing.

The technique I used with my Raven was to reset the field area and total to zero for each "new" tank. I just watched the area knowing how many acres should be covered with each tank. With the Insight I set a new region for each "new" tank. I type in the tank number which can be helpful later if any confusion comes about. Since the new region resets the acres to zero for that region I once again can watch the acres covered or total used by the "new" tank.

With a variable NH3 situation, the number of acres that should be covered is less predictable and one would need to watch the total volume build for each new tank. One would have to think in terms of the number of gallons of NH3 that each tank should contain and do the mental math of figuring when it is getting empty.

I guess another feature which I never use, is to reset the tank volume for each "new" tank. One would have to do this in gallons of NH3. I find it easier to do it the other way and just watch the totals build up for each "new" tank.

I just finished cross checking my totals against the fertilizer dealer's NH3 slips for this Spring. I built a spreadsheet which confirmed their totals etc. I was disappointed when I divided the total pounds of"N" by my corn acres as it appeared that I hadn't applied nearly enough.

Later it dawned on me that I had applied some NH3 last fall. When I divided the Spring "N" by the Spring acres the total came out within 1 pound of what I had set the Insight at.

Edited by tedbear 5/18/2008 07:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)