AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 12/23/2014 14:06 (#4260025 - in reply to #4260004)
Subject: RE: Planter advice

southern MN
20/20 is a high tech planter monitor, that shows you a lot of what is going on with your planter, as well as field maps, etc. you can keep adding and adding - special downforce air bags, more and more monitoring..... Turn the finger planters into an air system. On and on.... Row shutoffs....

I think their seed tubes are really good, and their version of the finger pickups are really good.

The rest of the 20/20 deal is only as good as you watch it and actually do something when it tells you..... I get along just fine with a $400 M3 monitor instead, and looking the planter over at refills.

Depends on where you want to go, what you want to accomplish. 20/20 does get to the top of the line if that is where you want to go. If you are going to run 12 row and bigger and cover ground 12-15 hours a day with the planter those additions help you keep on top of things. If you run several 100 acres with a modest tractor and 6-8 row planter you probably will be watching close enough yourself the high tech costs are more than you reclaim. Maybe. It depends where you want to go.

I really like the simple 7000 finger design for my small acres in conventional tillage. There is a great deal of support and parts out there. The 7200 with typical air system is a bit newer and easier to add more high tech, but it needs a bit more from your tractor to run the air system and maitenence of that system.

I hear IHC 800-1200 series planters have a few nicer features for notill, but with a tad more demands to run the air system as with a JD 7200.

I hear the White planters are really nice if you have a dealer nearby, they come out of the box with a lot of nice features.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)