AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DG N AL/Tedbear - Direct Command SPX 31xx ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/7/2008 07:57 (#351625 - in reply to #351477)
Subject: RE: DG N AL/Tedbear - Direct Command SPX 31xx ?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I would agree DG's post. I haven't done one of these lately but remember the confusion about the diode in the older rig that I did work on. I can't remember the purpose of the diode but it was necessary to bypass it when using the Insight.

With the Insight wiring the electricity is being pushed into the boom section wires in an opposite direction so to speak and the diode prevents Boom 1 from getting the message that it should be ON.

What DG has done is to temporarily bypass that diode. This gives him the option of unbypassing it when the need arises. The ability to go back to using the original 460 is a good point. If the Insight is not available or there is a problem, it might be desirable to go back to using the 460 temporarily. Also if and when the sprayer is traded off, the Insight might be removed and it would be necessary to get the sprayer back working for the next owner.

The Sidekick was designed to work with Raven single product controllers such as the 460 that you have removed. In the original setup the Sidekick tee harness was put between the rig wiring and the 460 so that it could get "boom sense" to know which booms if any are ON at any given time.

I would think that this tee could still go in that location. A worst case scenario would be to tap the actual boom valves and run wires back to the Sidekick.

The App Rate Module will allow communication between the SideKick and the Insight system. The Sidekick still run the Injection pump but it will send and receive information from/to the Insight.

New rates can be "sent" to the Sidekick from the Insight. This would make VR injection possible if desired. The Sidekick will send various information such as flow rate, etc to the Insight so that summaries, maps etc can be logged.

Since this is a multi-product situation, the multi-product feature on the Insight must be Unlocked. I assume that you will also want autoswath so that unlock would be necessary also.

The cable between the Sidekick and the App Rate module is a special one available from Ag Leader and plugs into the Communications port on the App Rate module. Important - in order for proper two communication to work between the Insight and the Sidekick, the Sidekick must be setup correctly. Set the BAUD rate to 9600, the Unit to Sec, the time value to 1 and Datalogger turned ON.

To test the communication, change the target rate on the Insight for the Injection system. You should hear 4 beeps from the Sidekick and the target rate on the Sidekick should change to whatever you've put into the Insight. To test communication in the other direction, look at the application tab for the Injection system and observe the swath width, if the swath width on that screen agrees with the boom input switch settings then the communication is good.

This should be a very workable setup with the many advantages of direct chemical injection as well as the features of the Insight.

Ag Leader is developing a Direct Chemical Injection module which would replace the Insight console in the cab. You really don't lose anything by going your route except for cab clutter.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)