AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Acreage owner's trees blocking line of sight question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

marbro1
Posted 7/30/2014 23:22 (#3994255)
Subject: Acreage owner's trees blocking line of sight question

Southwest Iowa
I rent a farm which has a drive way out onto the gravel road that shares a fence line with an acreage, the acreage is south of the fence and the farm I rent is on the north side. On the south side of the fence, close to the road, there are 4-5 trees the acreage owner has planted which have become pretty big and the limbs are causing a very poor line of sight for us when we're turning out of the field entrance and wanting to go either south or north on the gravel road. It's almost to the point with a semi that half of the hood is stretched out on the road before we can see if anything is barreling down the road from the south. It's been a hazard for the past few years and keeps getting worse the more the trees continue to grow. I don't want anybody in our operation to get hurt or cause an accident and especially harm someone else if it's too late for us to stop or we pull too far out and they can't see us either.

Just wondering if anybody knows if there's a law or any sort of regulation about this type of situation? As far as a neighbors trees over hanging the same fence, township rules at least here says that we can cut anything that is over hanging on our property. But the trees that I'm talking about are all on his property and the limbs that are causing the problem are hanging out towards the gravel road. They're not out into the road or hanging over it, but stretch across his part of the yard/ditch fair enough that it's getting dangerous.

I know some will say to just go and talk to the acreage owner, but that's an option I'm 99.9% won't work. He's not what a person would call an ideal neighbor. He's sued or tried to sue us, other farmers in the area, chemical companies, spray plane owners/operators, the local electric company, etc. for things that most people wouldn't flinch an eye at. I could tell 20 different stories to make people see where I'm coming from, but that's not the point of my post. I'm wondering if my best bet would be to talk to a county sheriff and have them come out and observe what I'm talking about and possibly have him have a conversation with the acreage owner? Maybe that's not something that they'd do? I'm not worried about a physical confrontation with this guy or anything. But maybe having somebody with authority tell him would make things go a little smoother?

If anybody has any other ideas or suggestions about how to go about this, feel free to let me know. It's something that I'd like to get handled before harvest when we'll have multiple trucks entering and exiting that particular drive way.

Thanks!

Marbro1
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)