AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flooded pasture question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

OldMcdonald
Posted 6/22/2014 18:12 (#3931992 - in reply to #3931906)
Subject: RE: Flooded pasture question

Napanee, Ontario
got your blackleg i hope, cows will lose weight, calves wont do great. No, i wouldn't say it's a very good situation you got there... i'd be more worried about your pasture looking like swiss cheese the longer you leave the cows out there in that soft ground lol.

i'd normally say the heat would bring it back, but then we've never got water like you guys out there have been getting lately. We have low swamp ground with water or snow on it 8 months of the year. Some of the thickest stand of canary grass you could imagine, but that's different grass. maybe get it tested or someone out to look at it if you still don't see it coming back, but if it doesn't come back you'll pretty much know the answer anyways. keeping the cows in for a week you would know by then maybe... but i guess it could keep raining.

i feel sorry for you folks out there. It was wet and late here, and it was nothing to what i've seen some post. Most scary thing to me is that - we only have rainfall coverage in On, so you get paid in a drought. It would be a pretty hard pill to swallow getting rain flooded out, and buying in feed for the second time in a year, no ins payout, at 2-3x the price...

Edited by OldMcdonald 6/22/2014 18:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)