AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finally did the calf table thing...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Mark in NEMO
Posted 6/20/2014 19:52 (#3929268)
Subject: Finally did the calf table thing...

Northeast Missouri
I've wanted one for years...I asked some questions about them a couple times here, the last one a couple weeks ago. Then my 25-year old son got kicked in the head last year while castrating 500 lb calves--had to lay down on the ground for a while, as it rattled him pretty well (and chipped two teeth). At first I didn't know where it had caught him--was not good for a dad to watch, til we figured out he was kicked in the jaw (which is bad enough).

Finally this spring I decided to bite the bullet, and bought a For-Most.

We worked calves on the weekend after it was delivered. Wish I had bought one *years* ago. (The saying is: "Too soon old; too late smart.") It was nice cutting bull calves with no kicking, no tail twisting, and the "surgery" going on 15" from my face--easy to see, up in the light, and I was bent over comfortably at the waist.

We just put a lariat-loop rope around the top leg above the dew claws, and used the peg that comes with the chute to hold the other leg forward. I could cut calves by myself with no problem if I needed to.

Since using it though I've painted the inside of the headgate black, to make more contrast between it and the "light" in front of the chute. I think they'll head for it better with less balking.

And next year I'll use it a month earlier. Some of the March calves were really to big (too tall) to exit the thing easily.

Anyway, thanks AgTalk'ers for your help & comments in getting me to this decision.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)