AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mowed and tedded some hay today (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/7/2014 11:12 (#3906330 - in reply to #3906096)
Subject: RE: Mowed and tedded some hay today (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Hay, thank you for the info. Sounds like we're in a similar situation.  If I was to wait for a clear sunny 3 or 4 day forecast it might be a week or 10 days before I mowed hay, if then. Throws everything off.

Dan Undersander at UW Madison has said the same thing about making a narrow windrow to allow the ground to dry then tedding it out. Except after 3 to 4" of rain last week my heavy clay ground is saturated and going to take some time to dry significantly.

I really like the JD 630 Moco, especially the driveline. I am trying to cut high (4") as Dan also suggests, and put the optional skid spacers on. But to get to 4" I still need to run the cutterbar fairly flat and find it pushes if I start going too fast. I've settled at about 5 mph.

On the tedding, I have found with grass I can ted more than once. With good alfalfa as pictured above, it seems like tedding it once shortly after mowed minimizes the loss of alfalfa leaves.  Trying to put up dry hay this time of year in our climates though, you do what you need to do.

Hay is certainly an art as much as a science. Lots of decisions to make.

Thanks again.

Jim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)