AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opening fresh grass while cows watch from the woods (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Texas Papaw
Posted 6/2/2014 07:05 (#3897826 - in reply to #3897709)
Subject: RE: Opening fresh grass while cows watch from the woods (pics)

Central Texas
X2!!!

Anything steel is a short looking for a place to happen. That is why I use mostly fiberglass for e fence. Get most of my e fence supplies from Kencove as much of the "farm store" e fence materials are cheaply built junk that will cause you problems. Call 1-800-kencove and they will send you a catalog. Their website is kencove.com. Very knowledgeable, helpful folks. They have combo 120v-12v chargers up to 18 joule output. Can use with 12v battery and solar charge panel if needed. The key is having cattle trained to hot wire. I have a steel fenced trap that has a single training wire about 15 ft long that runs perpendicular from the steel fence located between feed and water tank. Cattle will encounter the hot wire while going from feed to water and are trained in a day or 2. Just put a hotwire within a permanent pasture where they will encounter it and in a few days they will be trained.

IMO-the keys to electric fence use is training the cattle, using a powerful charger-6 joule minimum for perimeter fence, keeping it HOT (4000v min) and having plenty of feed for the cattle to eat. Do ALL of these things and should have no more trouble using e fence than barbed wire fence.

Just another 2 cents worth.

Edited by Texas Papaw 6/2/2014 07:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)