AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question for the sheep people. what do you use for milk replacer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

frekingpolypay
Posted 5/19/2014 23:31 (#3879231 - in reply to #3878449)
Subject: RE: more info

Southwest MN
I am guessing with those genetics you are referring to Rideau Arcott ewes. A Canadian version of the American Polypay some outstanding ewes. Might be referring to Patrick Smith of Sarto Sheep Farm in Steinbach is a large producer. 2500 ewes I think the last I heard on a accelerated lambing set up if I remember right the ewes are on full feed most of the year. I think he had a merger with a new Zealand firm to increase in size to roughly 20,000 ewes. Some good videos of his setup on you tube.

As far as feeding them on replacer we use the milk replacer from pipestone vet. did get land o lakes for a short period of time their old recipe had fair to good performance. Seem to have 0 problems with the pipestone milk. They are on a bucket setup from day one to day 35 roughly I use about a bag of replacer per lamb more than most producers but seem to have better luck with lambs keeping up with the rest of the lambs. also if you have a lot of lambs on a bucket I have been using a medicator bucket agitator pump to keep the milk from settling out. I like sorting lambs as they are growing into different groups if I have room to make sure they are all growing well and not fighting each other to much. nothing worse than a 8 lb lamb fighting a 16 lb lamb for a nipple.

As someone else said keep up on shots I would give a cdt shot upon arrival as well possibly some baby lamb strength. quick easy energy that has kept some very sick ewes alive and labs as well. and then if they are aall ewe lambs to keep for breeding ewes give 2 more rounds after that before they lamb. I don't have soremouth problems or abortion issues so I don't vaccinate for any of that should probably for vibrio. but treat pretty hot in last trimester with ctc and have not had issues. (knock on wood.)
If you have questions ever feel free to email.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)